Maths (Secondary) Workshop
Maths workshop for secondary schools
The workshop developed by an Aerospace engineer following experience in supply maths tutoring in schools. A great deal of effort has gone to trial and test this maths workshop for schools. It is ideal for GCSE classroom revision. Check our primary school workshop here (if you need something less advanced).
Students will learn curriculum-based maths through a mix of practicals and games. It is designed to engage those school students that lack motivation to learn maths.
We can deliver sessions in parallel.
1 instructor can deliver the following in a full day:
Secondary+: 3 sessions x 1 hr 30 mins or
2 sessions x 2 hrs 30 mins or
1 sessions x 5 hrs
( students per session)
Contact us for larger events.
Y7 - Y11
Maths in a Box
We have developed unique concepts to relate calculations to real-life. For example, we use real-world maps to carry out scaling and distance calculations combined with trigonometry. This is what makes our maths workshop stand out from the rest.
Typical Workshop Day*
- Calculations - Handout out the introductory worksheets to students and ask the children to Crack the Code.
- Practical - Conduct a bridge-building exercise using rods and various building bricks. Challenge the students to build an efficient bridge that can withstand a specific load. They will have to carry out unit conversions and other calculations for this exercise.
- Practical - The half-day version of the workshop will include Crack the Code and Bridge Building practical activities defined in the 1.5hr version above as well as the additional activities below.
- Practical - Play a probability game using the card pack, record results and complete additional probability maths questions.
Full Day version
- Practical - The full day version of the workshop will include Crack the Code, Bridge Building and Probability practical activities defined in the 1.5hr version and half-day versions above, as well as the additional activities below.
- Demo and Exam Questions - Perform volume and density calculations and answer few exam maths questions.
- Calculations - Perform scaling, bearing and measurements calculations and go through the answers. Students will explore maps and various other objects for this exercise.
Usually, we will reset the session and repeat it for more groups of children on the same day. On occasions, we will end the day with a street-dance performance.
* The activities may vary on the day depending on the length of the workshops and the age and ability of the students.
Vidura and his team were friendly and organised. They were very cooperative and tailored the workshops to suit our school setting. The team communicated all the information effectively and well in advance. The workshops reinforced the curriculum contents and were thoroughly enjoyed by our year 10 students.
Anjali Thomas, Baylis Court School