Light Waves Workshop
Physics light workshop for schools
This light waves workshop contains eight or more practical activities covering all major topics in the national curriculum including reflection, refraction, diffraction, pinhole camera, focusing, light spectrum, colored lights, and the eye. The activities are tailored for each key stage group.
We can deliver sessions in parallel.
1 instructor can deliver the following in a full day:
Primary: 4 sessions x 1 hr 15 mins
(30 students per session)
Secondary+: 5 sessions x 1 hr
(20 students per session)
Contact us for larger events.
Y3 - Y10
Light Ray Boxes
Brief introduction to light waves with our light ray boxes.
Observe how light waves reflect off mirrors.
Refraction, Diffraction and Convex Lenses
Conduct further experiments with our optical kits to learn about refraction with glass blocks. Learn how light is focused inside the eye with a convex lens. Additionally, create a rainbow of coloured light waves by splitting a narrow beam of white light.
Newton's Disc and Light Spectrum
Conduct the rotating disc physics experiment to demonstrate how white light is composed of colours of the rainbow.
Typical Workshop Day*
- Discuss the properties of light waves and how they travel.
- Practical - Use mirrors to reflect images and writing to understand how light reflects.
- Practical - Reflect a beam of white light off mirrors. Discuss the basic principle of angle of incidence = angle of reflection.
- Practical - Conduct an experiment to understand diffraction.
- Practical - Learn how refraction occurs in light waves as they travel through prisms with our light ray box and optics kit. We may also look at how refraction occurs as light travels through a beaker filled with water.
- Practical - Conduct an experiment with a convex lens to focus a triple light beam into a single spot. Discuss how light waves are focused inside the eye.
- Practical - Handout material to create a rotating colour disc. Then spin the disc using a motor and observe how the colours blend to appear white. Discuss optical mixing.
Usually, we will reset the session and repeat it for more groups of children on the same day. On occasions, we will end the day with a street-dance performance.
* The activities may vary on the day depending on the length of the workshops and the age and ability of the students.