Solar System Workshop
Explore our universe with real science
This workshop contains seven practicals and various hands-on experiments to learn about space and our planets. It also covers many curriculum-based topics such as gravity, forces and motion.
We can deliver sessions in parallel.
1 instructor can deliver the following in a full day:
Primary: 3 sessions x 1 hr 30 mins
( students per session)
Secondary+: 3 sessions x 1 hr 30 mins
( students per session)
Contact us for larger events.
Y3 - Y9
Explore All Our Planets
Measure Gravity Using the micro:bit
Conduct Space Experiments
- Measure the temperature of the room
- Measure the light level in the room
- Test for water in a soil sample
Create a Glowing Star Constellation
Learn how stars are formed and create the Hercules star constellation.
Typical Workshop Day*
- Individual Activity - Ask children to places the planets in order of their distance from the sun. We will then discuss the features of each planet in more detail. This section will also include questions related to space, comets, the rings of Saturn, and the International Space Station (ISS).
- We will discuss how astronauts, rovers and space vehicles constantly monitor their environments to function in space and experiments they conduct before conducting our own experiments in the classroom.
- Practical - Each student will measure the acceleration due to gravity using a pre-programmed Micro:bit device. We will also use the same device to measure higher g forces and discuss how this affects astronauts during space travel.
- Group Practical - Conduct experiments to measure the light level and temperature in the room. These experiments will help students understand how we can monitor the environment in space.
- Group Practical - Test a soil sample for its moisture and the presence of water, which is essential to human life on earth.
- Practical - Handout the star constellation patterns, glowing stickers and tapes, and ask each child to create a constellation. We will then charge the star constellations and watch them glow inside a light-box.
Usually, we will reset the session and repeat it for more groups of children on the same day. On occasions, we will end the day with a street-dance performance.
* The activities may vary on the day depending on the length of the workshops and the age and ability of the students.